The New York Times recently crowned Cape Town the #1 "Place to Go in 2014". The Times' description of the Mother City begins with this:
The Two Oceans Marathon, dubbed "the world's most beautiful marathon," circumambulates Table Mountain, traveling around the Cape Peninsula from the Atlantic Ocean to the Indian Ocean and back. It is 56 kilometers of some of the most stunning views on Earth. Unfortunately, I do not have the legs for that course (yet), so last weekend, I ran the Two Oceans Half Marathon, which is a far more manageable 21 kilometers.
Though less than half the distance of the ultra marathon, and limited to one side of Table Mountain, the Two Oceans Half Marathon is special in its own right. The race begins long before sunrise at the foot of Table Mountain. Runners take off into the darkness, unable to see much more than small areas illuminated by street lights. Then, shortly before the halfway point, the course begins to loop back toward Table Mountain, and the sun makes its appearance. Runners are rewarded with a breathtaking view of the western side of Table Mountain as it lights up in the sunrise. I found it difficult not to pull off to the side of the road and gawk at the sight.
The race kicked off a memorable long weekend in Cape Town. I cruised through the finish line ebullient – energized and inspired to soak in everything the Mother City (and a few days away from work) had to offer. My colleague and dear friend, Mary and I spent the next few days touring the Cape Peninsula, marveling at its beauty and history.
Cape Town is distinctly different from the South Africa I have come to know in KZN. The culture and city scene are more akin to the United States or Europe. It was somewhat disorienting to spend time in a place that feels like home, but isn't – like a strange case of deja vu. This was a strong reminder to accept my current home for what it is instead of wishing it were something else. My time here is winding down. Soon I will be back on the other side of the Atlantic looking out over the horizon toward Africa. From here on out, I am going to focus on approaching each moment with an open heart and mind, just as I did when I first arrived.
When Nelson Mandela was incarcerated at Robben Island prison, he found inspiration in Cape Town. “We often looked across Table Bay at the magnificent silhouette of Table Mountain,” he said in a speech. “To us on Robben Island, Table Mountain was a beacon of hope. It represented the mainland to which we knew we would one day return.”I had the privilege to experience the same view, along with many others. There are few places in Cape Town where you cannot see the iconic mountain. It is centerpiece of the city's jaw-dropping natural beauty.
The Two Oceans Marathon, dubbed "the world's most beautiful marathon," circumambulates Table Mountain, traveling around the Cape Peninsula from the Atlantic Ocean to the Indian Ocean and back. It is 56 kilometers of some of the most stunning views on Earth. Unfortunately, I do not have the legs for that course (yet), so last weekend, I ran the Two Oceans Half Marathon, which is a far more manageable 21 kilometers.
Though less than half the distance of the ultra marathon, and limited to one side of Table Mountain, the Two Oceans Half Marathon is special in its own right. The race begins long before sunrise at the foot of Table Mountain. Runners take off into the darkness, unable to see much more than small areas illuminated by street lights. Then, shortly before the halfway point, the course begins to loop back toward Table Mountain, and the sun makes its appearance. Runners are rewarded with a breathtaking view of the western side of Table Mountain as it lights up in the sunrise. I found it difficult not to pull off to the side of the road and gawk at the sight.
The race kicked off a memorable long weekend in Cape Town. I cruised through the finish line ebullient – energized and inspired to soak in everything the Mother City (and a few days away from work) had to offer. My colleague and dear friend, Mary and I spent the next few days touring the Cape Peninsula, marveling at its beauty and history.
| Table Mountain and Lion's Head |
| Sunset at Signal Hill |
| Muizenberg beach |
| Boulder Beach, Simonstown |
| African penguin, Simonstown |
| Cape Peninsula |
| Clouds rolling over the top of Table Mountain |
| Mary on top of Table Mountain |
| Robben Island |
| Robben Island prison |
![]() |
| Table Bay |
Cape Town is distinctly different from the South Africa I have come to know in KZN. The culture and city scene are more akin to the United States or Europe. It was somewhat disorienting to spend time in a place that feels like home, but isn't – like a strange case of deja vu. This was a strong reminder to accept my current home for what it is instead of wishing it were something else. My time here is winding down. Soon I will be back on the other side of the Atlantic looking out over the horizon toward Africa. From here on out, I am going to focus on approaching each moment with an open heart and mind, just as I did when I first arrived.

No comments:
Post a Comment