Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Sbonelo and Londe

Two of the children in my art class have been absent the past two weeks. Sunday, I found out that one was beaten by his drunk mother, hit in the head with a brick, and the other was admitted to Edendale Hospital for injuries sustained from sexual abuse.

I know the kids in my class are "at risk"; it is one of the primary reasons they come to my class in the first place. Sthe's house is an escape from the dangers of the street. And I know the statistics – the probability a girl will be raped before her 18th birthday, the prevalence of domestic abuse, child neglect and violence toward women – but the horrible truth has never felt so real.

Sbonelo, the boy who was hit with a brick, stopped by Sthe's after class on Sunday to say hello and apologize for being absent. Sbonelo came to the first art class; he hasn't missed one since. And as one of the oldest, and an Izimbali Zisizwe veteran, he helps corral the younger children and keep the unruly ones in line. Sbonelo's mother did not want to take him to a doctor for fear of being arrested for assault. This was not the first time.

Sthe said that Londe was still at Edendale Hospital – she had been for over a week. On Monday morning, I asked Nokuthula, one of the iTEACH Warriors to help me find her. Londe was in A Ward, the gynecology ward.

When I walked into A Ward, Londe was standing next to her bed, dressed in a plain white hospital gown. For a brief moment, she stared at me blankly. Then she shook off her surprise and ran toward me for a hug. I said that I was happy to see her, and gave her some snacks, juice and a few bracelets from the art class she missed. Then I turned it over to Nokuthula who asked about her admission to Edendale and the care she was receiving.

We found out that Londe was being kept in A Ward for her safety. The social worker handling Londe's case did not want to release her until they found a safe place for her to go.

Londe's parents are dead. She has been living with her grandparents in Imbali. Londe's grandather and uncle have been sexually abusing her with some regularity for well over a year, and her grandmother (usually drunk) refused to seek help for fear of what the neighbors might say when they found out. The most recent incident was bad enough to warrant intervention from the police, which is the only reason Londe is at Edendale Hospital right now.

Knowing all of this, I could not leave Londe until I was certain she would be safe. Nokuthula and I spent the rest of the day getting answers and doing what we could to ensure that Londe would not be returning to the "care" of her drunk grannie and abusive uncle. I gave the social worker Sthe's number and encouraged her to call for more information about Londe's family. I also met Londe's older brother and sister, who were seeking custody.

At the end of the day, I left Londe in A Ward with some paper and colored pencils. And I stopped in today to say hello and replenish her snack supply. The social worker has my number and will contact me when a safe (safer) home is found for Londe.

Some days, it's very difficult not to be angry, not to hate every man and drunk that I see. I can't help but think, "Did that man rape someone? Will he? Does that woman beat her children? Or has she ever denied a child help?" It's a terrible game. I would much rather assume the best in people, but in KZN the odds are against it.

Sbonelo is 13. Londe is 12.

Sbonelo with his paper protea

Londe and I showing off our bracelets

The kids of Imbali J

1 comment:

  1. ..thinking of you and your kids! So important that you are there and sharing their stories. Please keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete