Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Muti

During my first trip to South Africa, I had a consultation with Makhosi Mamela, one of the iTEACH trained traditional healers. It is briefly described at the end of this post. At the conclusion of our meeting she handed me a small bottle filled with bright pink powder and instructed me to mix one teaspoon of the powder into one liter of cool water and dump it over my head after I had bathed. I was to continue doing this every day until the powder was finished. This was my muti, a traditional prescription for what ailed me.

I thanked her for the muti and assured her I would use it as she had instructed. Instead, after I got home, I packed it away and didn't touch it. When I came back to South Africa, I brought it with me, where again, I stashed it in the back of a cupboard and did not touch it.

Mr. Zulu and Makhosi Mamela, after my consultation

I could have thrown it away, dumped it down the drain, or at least kept it in a box with all of the other things I left at home. But I didn't. That must have meant something, right? It must have, because after almost 7 months of avoiding it, I finally used it. Last week I took my muti.

On Sunday night, I got a pitcher (about 1 liter in size) and a teaspoon from my kitchen and put them in my shower. On Monday morning, I measured out a teaspoon of pink powder and mixed it with cool water, just as Mamela had instructed. Then I set the pitcher aside and took a shower.

Prepared muti

After I was done washing, I stood under the water and stared at the pitcher. It's awfully pink. I considered a couple of logical consequences: this could dye my hair and skin pink or I could have a horrible allergic reaction. I also considered a couple more...er...spiritual consequences: it won't work because I'm not Zulu; something bad will happen because I waited too long; it won't work because I'm doubtful.

I must have been considering a long time, because the hot water ran out. That got my attention. I finally picked up the pitcher, closed my eyes and mouth and poured the hot pink contents onto my head. When the pitcher was empty, I opened my eyes and looked down. Pink liquid cascaded down my body and retreated towards the drain. I'm still standing – that's good. I feel fine – also good. I don't appear to have turned pink – that's very good. I stayed under the water a minute more and rinsed off. I'm not sure if this was the right thing to do or not, but I really didn't want to come out of the shower pink.

I repeated the process each day for the next three days: dissolve powder in water, shower, pour, rinse. It wasn't so bad. I actually started to enjoy the ritual. Other mutis call for phalaza (self-induced vomitting), cold showers, pouring water steeped with bits of bark and other woody things over your head or any combination of those. I got out easy.

I am not sure why it took me so long to take the muti, or why I decided to go for it at all. Maybe I just needed to spend some more time in Africa. Or maybe I just didn't want the bottle taking up space in my cupboard anymore. I really don't know. I would like to think that my decision is suggestive of some kind of connection I feel with this place or perhaps the respect I have for traditional healers. Whatever the case may be, I know one thing for sure: I'm glad I took my muti. And I didn't turn pink – that's very good.

3 comments:

  1. My wife and I had the opportunity to visit the iTEACH trained traditional healers, too. She told me to go visit my family physcian in Seattle to check out my heart problems. I just went to the doctor office yesterday. I do have hypertension issues so heart is the first thing goes out - heart attack. It is a beautiful country, we would love to visit S.A. again. However, I will watch out for our next ambush in Joburg (Park), S.A. We are really standing out as tourists.

    ReplyDelete