Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I'm back

I arrived back in SA just over one week ago, on a flight out of JFK that was delayed 10 hours. After nearly 12 hours in the airport and 18 hours of flying I crash landed on the couch in Zoe's empty flat in Durban, too tired to remember that she had very kindly put fresh linens on her bed for me. I slept for 11 hours.

Neighborhood info from Zoe

I was staying there so I could pick up her flatmate's car – which I had just purchased – and drive myself up to Pietermartizburg. It was a perfect plan – land in Durban, stop at Zoe's to get the car, drive to new home.

I should know better by now – perfect plans never work perfectly (I'm thinking of recent plan which ended in me sleeping through a train stop and losing my wallet.) Long story short, I don't technically own the car yet and I owe Mary a rescue mission and a pack of wine gums.

Late Monday night, after Mary picked me up, I found myself back in Krista's house in Hilton, where I had stayed on my previous trip. It felt good to be someplace familiar and (unusually) calm – which reminds me, I must thank Thando for letting me sleep in her super cozy bed.

The rest of the week blew by, and it was surprisingly productive. I got some good work done with the STK team, I got a phone, I moved into my new home (a little cottage on Dr. Wilson's beautiful property), I went for a run and saw zebras and impala, and I even got the car, kind of.

Home

My new buddy, Buyani

For the record, "productive" in South Africa is not the same as "productive" in New York – it took three days, two passports and a "security check" to get a cell phone contract. The pace is different in SA – people move slower and simple tasks take longer to complete – there is rarely a sense of urgency. The ubiquitous lack of efficiency and (often times) sense can be frustrating. It's much easier just to relax and go with the flow. For example, when you find out that your bathroom only has a tub and no shower, buy bubble bath and a rubber ducky.

But I didn't move here for a fast-paced lifestyle and fancy bathrooms – I came to work with a group of people who are dedicated to saving lives. I came to roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty – to design for people, not clients. And seeing stars at night is a pretty sweet bonus.

Walking into the iTEACH office last week was like a breath of fresh air. For one thing, everyone was just as excited to see me as I was to see them (really, really excited). And after a very sobering staff meeting this morning, the significance of my role here has started to sink in. In addition to completing the self-test kit and creating more effective training tools, I will be documenting iTEACH's work through photo and video. iTEACH secures funding based on how well they can communicate their impact as an organization. Results – numbers indicating improvement – are no doubt important, but they carry more weight when delivered in the context of a compelling story, told through images. Never has taking the right photograph been more important.

For as much as I have to offer to iTEACH, KZN, and all of South Africa, it pales in comparison to what they have to offer me – a place, a people, and an experience that will make me a better designer and a better person. I am so happy to be here.

2 comments: