Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A different kind of Sunday

Many years ago Gugu's friend started feeding neighborhood children with money out of her own pocket. Today, Sthe runs a sort of informal day care, Imbali J. Gugu is trying to help her secure outside funding to support its growing demands. On Sunday, she asked me if I'd like to visit Sthe to discuss some ideas. (Of course I would.)

Sthe lives in Imbali, a short drive from Edendale Hospital. As soon as we pulled up to her sky blue house, the kids from Imbali J surrounded my car – they had been told we were coming. I was expecting to sit and talk with Sthe – instead, I was treated to singing and dancing from dozens of super cute kids.

Imbali J kids

Dance party

The youngest were toddlers, the oldest must have been in their early teens and transitioning from being cared for to being care givers. They all come from very poor families and many have very scary home lives, but when they are together at Imbali J, they're just kids having fun. I was very glad to be a part of it that day, and very grateful for Sthe and her big huge heart.

Sthe's front porch

Dinner prayers

I tried to show my thanks with my camera. I let the kids play with it and showed them their pictures. And I promised Sthe that I'd give her a copy of all the photos and videos I took.




When I got home, I told Doug and Adam where I had been. As it turns out, Doug is going to be on the advisory board for Gugu's funding effort and Adam spent many years volunteering there, teaching the children crafts and drama.

I can't wait to go back. Maybe this will become a regular trip. The arts and crafts position is open after all.

1 comment: