Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sawubona

I boarded a plane to Durban, connecting through Johannesburg, yesterday morning knowing only that, "someone will be there to pick you up." I didn't ask who, or where to meet them, or confirm that someone would in fact be there – I just trusted it would work out. And it did. After collecting my suitcase I was greeted by the smiling face of Sandile holding this sign: 


I asked him if I could keep it. I had to have it.

We went straight to the hospital to meet the rest of the iTEACH crew. Such a warm welcome! It felt as if I already knew all of them. After Thobe gave me a run down of how things worked, Siya brought me to the self test kit (STK) research office to show me where I'd be working for the next few weeks.

Shortly after, Sandile and I got back in the car and drove to Krista's home, where I am staying. After a quick, very necessary shower, I was back downstairs responding to email, building a fire, talking about centerpieces for Z's wedding, and learning different "clicking" letters in Zulu from Thando. Oh yeah, I made coffee right after the shower. Now I'm in bed, heated by water bottles filled with hot water (Hilton gets pretty cold at night), post pizza and wine.

Maybe it's the familiar names and faces, or the pictures I've seen of this beautiful place, but it seems strangely familiar – like I've been before. I feel welcome and at ease.

I'm really looking forward to the next few weeks. I promise to be an exceptional guest to my gracious hosts.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome !
    Sounds like a warm welcome, even with the chill (Africa needs sweaters, too... Noted ;) Will be following your adventures! Don't forget to write :) -LZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you, and I already can't wait to come visit!
    Sending tons of love,
    J

    ReplyDelete