Thursday, August 9, 2012

Candlelight dinner

Here in Hilton, every so often the power goes out. I'm not sure why this happens, but I love it. I take out my flashlight (or torch, as they say in SA), find some matches, and light a few candles around the house. As soon as I light the first candle, I flash back to my childhood, huddled inside a homemade tent with my brother and sister, reading books by flashlight – because that's what you do when the power goes out.

There is something magical and exciting about a night without electricity. As a kid, it brought my family together – books and board games. As an adult, it means mandatory relaxation (my laptop battery only lasts so long) – a long bath and dinner by candlelight. But it's always inspired creativity. This time, rather than making a tent or telling scary stories, I took pictures.






2 comments:

  1. If I'm there when this happens again, we're totally building a tent :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chances are good. I have enough blankets. I'll start collecting heavy books.

      Delete